NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft mission to Pluto and Charon is about to wake up from its latest hibernation as it approaches the planet Pluto. Or is it the dwarf planet Pluto? Or a dwarf gas giant? Or a dwarf ice planet? Or large icy comet/asteroid planet?
By April New Horizons should be slowly sending us the best images and data of Pluto to date. In July the spacecraft will be at its closest to the planet Pluto, 6200 miles above its surface.
For 6 months the mission will study Pluto and is sure to find and discover many surprising things. One of the best things is that it will study the geology of the planets surface. What will it find?
NASA’s New Horizons: Investigations
- Map surface composition of Pluto and Charon
- Characterize geology and morphology of Pluto and Charon
- Characterize the neutral atmosphere of Pluto and its escape rate
- Search for an atmosphere around Charon
- Map surface temperatures on Pluto and Charon
- Search for rings and additional satellites around Pluto
- Conduct similar investigations of one or more Kuiper Belt Objects
Everything Is Electric?
Nanodiamond dipoles in space dusty plasmas, near plasmoid stars, with these diamond nanodipoles emitting electric dipole radiation? In astronomy, nanodiamonds are special becaus...
Will Pluto be found warmer than expected and what could be the reason for it? Will a warm or warmer Pluto be due to electrical processes on its surface and in its plasmaphere (a...
The near Earth Asteroid Ryugu is to be visited in 2018 by the Hayabusa-2 spacecraft, which will land and take sample surfaces of an asteroid. Or is it a comet or an ultra small Cer...