Animal pounds, pund, pinfolds were used to impound stray livestock in the Lord of the Manor’s official enclosure, often found on the local Pound Lane.
Blundeston Village Pound, Suffolk
The Village Pound: This pound was an important part of Blundeston life. When livestock was moved from one pasture to another, or to market, it was done ‘on the hoof’. Sometimes a few would go astray and these would be impounded here. They were looked after by the pinder, who fed and watered them. A fee had to be paid on collection by the owner. This is the only public property The Lord of the Manor still retains in the village.
Most of the Norfolk and Suffolk old Ordnance Survey maps show an animal pound as a ‘pinfold’. Blundeston still has it’s original Pound Lane.
The Pinfold in Somerleyton, Suffolk
Somerleyton Animal Pound: This pound was used to contain stray animals. It was probably constructed in the early Nineteenth Century. The copings and gate are missing. Circular pounds are unusual, although there is another nearby in Blundeston.
The term animal pound is derived from the Anglo-Saxon word `pund’ meaning enclosure, and is used to describe stock-proof areas for confining stray or illegally pastured stock and legally-kept animals rounded up at certain times of the year from areas of common grazing.
The walls are normally about 1.5m high, although greater heights are not uncommon as attempts to prevent poundbreach. In addition to stock control, animals were sometimes taken as a `distress’ (seizure of property in lieu of debt or to enforce payment) and kept under the care of the pinder or hayward until redeemed. Pounds are usually unroofed and have a single entrance, although some have additional low entrances to allow the passage of sheep and pigs while retaining larger stock.
East Burnham animal pound | Historic England
This relatively modern looking brick enclosure is constructed into the embankment.
Somerleyton’s stray animal Pound is located on the way to the Somerleyton Railway Station Road. It is found next to part of the Angles Way walk, where it forks from the dirt road/track that is on the maps called Waddling Lane towards or from Oulton Broad and Lowestoft. The Railway track passes along the bottom of the slope which leads onto the Somerleyton Marshes of the River Waveney.
Gorleston’s Pound Lane, now the poorest Pound Lane in all of Christendom?
Stray livestock for Gorleston’s Pound Lane? It is hard now to imagine the need for animals to be impounded in modern Gorleston-On-Sea but not that many generations ago it was mostly farmers fields and shrublands, with Church Farm, Shrubland Farm, Crow Hall Farm, Cliffe Farm (Cliff Park Farm) etc. Where was the pinfold located and any evidence left?
One of Gorleston’s old boys remembers the brick enclosure where the now named Middleton Gardens road meets Church Lane.
At the bottom of Pound Lane, which is now Middleton Road, opposite the church, there was a pound. It was four brick walls with a wooden door in the front. It was about twelve feet square. Any stray cattle or horses were put in there and the owners would have to pay a sovereign to get them back.
On the right of Pound Lane was Welsteads meadow which is now Roslyn Road. Pound Lane ran from Church Lane to Green Acres Farm, passed the top of Stradbroke Road, Suffield Road, Albemarle Road, and Elmgrove Road where there was a gypsy camp in a meadow.
They were named Grey. One of the women would call at Johnny Beales’s shop every Saturday evening when I worked there. I used to help her home with her shopping and she used to give me 2d. which was a lot of money to a boy of ten in those days. They were real Romany gypsys and were nice people and camped there for several years.
Pound Lane carried on through Green Acres farm and ended in Lowestoft Road opposite Elmhurst Bridge Road, after that it was all open country in those days.
Old Gorleston By A.A. Hart | RJ Taylor
Gorleston’s pinfold, then in Suffolk, might have looked something like North Elmham’s historic animal Pound (above).
Middleton Gardens, the road, was originally called Pound Lane, and ran all the way from Church Lane along Middleton Gardens, continuing to near Crowhall Green. It was not until 1923 that Middleton Road was opened by E.J. Middleton, the then Mayor. The roundabout at the junction of Middleton and Church Roads and Church Lane was built in 1933, the first roundabout in the borough. While the houses on Middleton Gardens have changed little, the area across Middleton Road has developed greatly. The gardens themselves are plainer than they used to be.
Gorleston Then & Now | Gorleston Community Magazine
1885 Map of Gorleston and the Pound (Pinfold) of Pound Lane
It is a bit easier to understand when the ancient St Benet’s stone Cross can be lost from the maps but a pinfold that was operational at the start of the 1900’s is hard to lose or forget about?
A Pound or Pinfold is a structure built to confine stray stock or any animal found grazing on land for which their owner did not have permission. Once confined a Pinder, usually appointed by the Manor Court, was responsible for the care of the animals until the owner had paid the fine imposed by the court.
What are Pounds and Pinfolds? | National Register of Pounds and Pinfolds
1906 Map of Gorleston-On-Sea Pound Lane
1928 Map of Gorleston-On-Sea’s Pound Lane
The wonderfully wide Middleton Road was built, supposedly by a local housing construction company, and the middle section of Pound Lane was renamed. Only the North and South ends kept their original name. Then the end by St Andrew’s Church and Church Lane eventually even lost its pinfold heritage and was eventually renamed and now known as Middleton Gardens.
1951 Map of part of the old Pound Lane
Modern maps of either end of Gorleston’s Pound Lane
Everything Is Electric?
Modern maps show Gorleston-On-Sea’s old White Horse roundabout as Stone Cross roundabout. There was an English Augustinian Order Priory beside this meeting junction of local roads ...
What a glorious electric day in East Anglia, a wonderful Norfolk dielectric to be alive. After days, weeks of blue sky with its charging sunshine and really warm days there appe...
Another problem of East Anglia’s missing history are its puzzling and ancient round towered flint churches. Initially this appears to be a specifically Suffolk and Norfolk Norman a...