Norfolk

Only a Sassenach could doubt this fine example of Norman craftsmanship?

St Andrew’s Church in Wissett Suffolk England with round tower

How can there have been the slightest bit of doubt with the dating and original builders of St Andrew’s Church in Wissett Suffolk, which is a “fine example of Norman craftmanship”?

There were previous suggestions it was a round tower Church built by the puzzling Anglo-Saxons culture, those Sassanochs as the Celtic Scottish called them.

The Murky past of East Anglia

history of East Anglia Norfolk Suffolk

The pre William and his Norman Conquerors (1066 AD) history of England is surprisingly murky, especially considering the riches of ancient earthworks and civilisations with advanced technical skills. Trying to look into the past of Norfolk and Suffolk is somehow even murkier – like its coastal rivers, estuaries and famous reed marshlands of the Broads. …

The Murky past of East Anglia Read More »

The Ancient St Clement’s Cross of bloomin’ Old Gorleston

St Clements Cross

Gorleston is an ancient village. Parts of Gorleston-On-Sea are so antiquated they even had an impressively large Augustinian priory but now there is virtually no physical evidence of its existence left above the surface.

Another missing Medieval antiquity was the centuries old St Clement’s stone Cross, appropriately the tanner’s and fisherman’s Patron Saint. The Crucem Clementij monument was mentioned in a 1597 Latin manuscript, when Elizabeth I was Queen of England and the House of Tudor’s rule would soon be coming to an end.

St. Benet’s Stone Cross or St. Bennett’s at Gorleston-On-Sea?

St Bennetts stone Cross Gorleston

There was a significant religious St Bennett’s Cross situated in old Gorleston. Its location or at least the remains of this antiquity, marked on older Ordnance Survey Maps beside St Andrew’s Church roundabout on the Church Lane and Church Road corner.

St Bennett’s stone Cross, also spelt St Benett’s, was drawn on OS maps into at least the 1950’s. There were other very old and large stone Crosses in Gorleston Parish.