Gorleston On Sea

Stray animal Pounds in Somerleyton and Blundeston. And Gorleston?

Charles Dickens David Copperfield Blundeston Suffolk

Animal pounds, sheepfolds, pund, pinfolds were used to impound stray livestock in the Lord of the Manor’s official enclosure, often found on the local Pound Lane.

Blundeston Village Pound was an important part of Blundeston life. When livestock was moved from one pasture to another, or to market, it was done ‘on the hoof’. Sometimes a few would go astray and these would be impounded here. They were looked after by the pinder, who fed and watered them. A fee had to be paid on collection by the owner. This is the only public property The Lord of the Manor still retains in the village.

The Ancient St Clement’s Cross of bloomin’ Old Gorleston

St Clements Cross

Gorleston is an ancient village. Parts of Gorleston-On-Sea are so antiquated they even had an impressively large Augustinian priory but now there is virtually no physical evidence of its existence left above the surface.

Another missing Medieval antiquity was the centuries old St Clement’s stone Cross, appropriately the tanner’s and fisherman’s Patron Saint. The Crucem Clementij monument was mentioned in a 1597 Latin manuscript, when Elizabeth I was Queen of England and the House of Tudor’s rule would soon be coming to an end.

St. Benet’s Stone Cross or St. Bennett’s at Gorleston-On-Sea?

St Bennetts stone Cross Gorleston

There was a significant religious St Bennett’s Cross situated in old Gorleston. Its location or at least the remains of this antiquity, marked on older Ordnance Survey Maps beside St Andrew’s Church roundabout on the Church Lane and Church Road corner.

St Bennett’s stone Cross, also spelt St Benett’s, was drawn on OS maps into at least the 1950’s. There were other very old and large stone Crosses in Gorleston Parish.

Gorleston’s Augustinian Priory’s Stone Cross roundabout?

Gorleston-On-Sea Stone Cross roundabout history

Modern maps show Gorleston-On-Sea’s old White Horse roundabout as Stone Cross roundabout. There was an English Augustinian Order Priory beside this meeting junction of local roads from Great Yarmouth, Beccles, Lowestoft and Burgh (Burgh Castle).

Gorleston-On-Stone Crosses?

Gorleston cross

Maps show St Bennett’s Cross and Stone Cross roundabout (old White Horse roundabout). But where was St Clement’s Cross, the appropriate Mariner’s Cross?

The presence of other stone crosses, maybe even 2 or 3 more, perhaps have existed. Or might just be local folklore getting a bit mixed up and creating that strange phenomena of doubling up events or doppelgänger tales we puzzlingly find so often in ancient accounts of historical episodes. Yet Gorleston’s repeated myths are only a few centuries old.